Come out to the first ever QuAIA-Vancouver panel on Thursday, May 2 at 7:00! The event will take place at SFU Harbour Centre, room 7000 (515 West Hastings Street). Please scroll to the bottom for detailed information on accessibility. Find and share the event on Facebook!
Lately, you’ve probably been hearing words like pinkwashing, settler colonialism, and homonationalism. Maybe you heard that there were a bunch of queer and trans folks wearing hedgehog masks and holding pink signs about Israeli apartheid at the Queer Film Festival last summer. Or you’ve wondered what queer solidarity for Palestine looks like? And how radical queer and trans folks can support Indigenous struggles on Turtle Island or what the connections are between Canadian and Israeli settler colonialisms? Ever wanted to figure out how we can resist pinkwashing and build genuine movements of solidarity that resist all forms of colonialism and occupation? Or perhaps you just want one of those really cool QuAIA bandanas?
Well, with the help of some fabulous speakers, QuAIA Vancouver is putting on a panel to discuss some of these very questions, share information, engage in discussion, and help build radical queer and trans communities. Speaker information coming shortly!
This panel will explore the intersections between Israeli and Canadian settler colonialisms and Israel’s campaign of pinkwashing its brutal occupation of Palestine.
By appealing to global LGBTQ communities to support the Israeli settler colonial state at the expense of Palestinians, Israel is actively engaging in the pinkwashing of apartheid and occupation.
As queers, trans folks, and allies, we are outraged by the appropriation of queer and trans struggles for liberation in order to obscure, excuse, or justify state violence and colonialism. As radical queers committed to anti-colonial struggles and all forms of oppression, we also stand in solidarity with Indigenous struggles against ongoing colonialism here on Turtle Island. When we come out against settler colonialism in all its forms and against Israeli apartheid, we interfere with the myth making that is vital to upholding Israeli and Canadian colonial regimes.
Please join us to learn how you can resist this state-sponsored hijacking of our community’s voice, and raise your own voice with ours to say “No Pinkwashing in Our Name!” Oh and there may also be some of those amazing bandanas, possibly even with glitter!
Queers Against Israeli Apartheid is part of a growing international movement – led by Palestinians – against Israeli apartheid, occupation and colonialism.
Canada Palestine Association (CPA)
Voice of Palestine
Samidoun: Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network
Boycott Israeli Apartheid Committee (BIAC)
Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights UBC (SPHR UBC)
Please email us if more information needs to be added and/or if you have questions/feedback: email@example.com
– Room 7000 is on the 7th floor, with elevator access, and is wheelchair and scooter accessible as are the washrooms.
– Gender neutral and gendered washrooms are on the same floor as the room.
– Floor plan for the venue and room: http://www.sfu.ca/mecs/harbour+centre/floor+plans.html
– ASL-English interpretation is confirmed.
– There will be designated seating space in the room for folks with limited mobility and for Deaf people, folks who are hard of hearing, and others with barriers to accessing audio.
– Amplification via mics and speakers will also be provided.
– A specific donation jar will be available for QuAIA to build an ongoing Accessibilities Fund.
– Donations are completely voluntary and any donations will be greatly appreciated!
– In order to reduce the impact of electromagnetic transmissions (EMT) on folks with EMT sensitivity, we will be asking that attendees turn off their cell phones if possible, or place them in a designated area.
– We are creating a scent-reduced environment for this event. For more information on how you can help with this, check out these resources:
Myths & Facts about Chemical Sensitivity: http://www.peggymunson.com/mcs/myths.html
How to be Fragrance Free: http://www.peggymunson.com/mcs/fragrancefree.html
Fragrance Free Femme of Colour Realness Draft 1.5: http://www.brownstargirl.org/1/post/2012/03/fragrance-free-femme-of-colour-realness-draft-15.html